Tuesday, March 27, 2007

update

Nothing ridiculously thrilling the last couple days, but I'll still blog:

Sunday March 25:

More beach! Because South Africa's very Christian, almost everything was closed on Sunday. We went to the beach, and walked to another beach to eat lunch. Our first waitress was very tired since she worked two double shifts. Our second waiter was very excited we were from the U.S. even though he wanted to kill Bill Gates because he had too much money. Said waiter wants to go to the U.S. and visit 1) New York and 2) Michigan since that's where Eminem's from.

After beaching it, we ate an unsatisfying dinner at Lola's, with a rude waitress who took an hour to bring food, and then went for some drinks at Long Street Cafe with Scottish Laura.

Monday March 26:

I woke up at 7:30am for an interview. Yes, I'm actually doing a bit of work! I had a nice interview with D, who Steph connected me too, and we discussed the recent changes in activists' relationship with the government regarding their position on HIV/AIDS (my topic).

Then I tried to take Tina to the coffee shop where I met my Zimbabwean friend, but it was farther than I remembered so we turned around. Instead we read and had delicious milkshakes at Long Street Cafe.


Right when we were discussing how we need to make friends, Tina's friend's friend called and took us out for a drink. He works for a cigarette company (though he doesn't smoke), and basically throws parties so he's a good person to know.

Once we returned, Steph was going to interview D (who I interviewed in the a.m.) over dinner. When he saw me, he inivted me to join, which I did hesitantly since I knew Steph needed to interview. But I needn't had worried, since it ended up being a 30 minute interview, joined by a 20 minute car ride to Kalk Bay and a fancy dinner, too much wine, and learning D's life story. Fun fact: Despite the fact that D works in the AIDS world, spent 15 years in San Francisco (in the Mission no less) and referred to his "partner" we learned later said partner was a woman. We were quite suprised.

It's exciting meeting people who are older who have traveled the world and are still doing new and exciting things even though they are adults. It gives me hope for the future.

No comments: