Saturday, March 31, 2007

some more Cape Town

Just to clarify last post...It's ot that there are only white people on Long St., far from it. We've met tons of black and colored (NOT a racist word here) in Cape Town But a lot of restaurants and bar tend to lean touristy and/or white, especially a lot of the restaurants we go to. I totally admit to living the western tourist lifestyle here.

March 29 (continued)

Mama Africa was sort of underwhelming, although ostrich meat was quite good (like steak, not chicken). The we hung out with the Medill kids interning here at their super-posh apartment and at a bar on Long St. THEN I was tired (from the hike, you might remember) so I went home early , and went to bed around 1am. Shortly there after when I was trying to fall asleep a man and his girlfriend (who I'm going to assume are German unless I hear otherwise) just WALKED INTO MY ROOM! They just started going on the balcony only accessible by my room. ummmm, not ok. I told them this and the man explained "it's the only way to get there." I told him it was not ok to walk through my room, and kindly suggested they use the public balcony. "It's too noisy there" he said like that was ok. Later they climbed out the window of their own room to get to the balcony. ugh, some people are so rude.

March 30

We woke up early and took the train to a beach in Muizenberg. Public transportation here is suppoosed to be horrific but the train wasn't worse than the L in Chicago (though that's not saying much). The water was warmer there, though it was still a little cold.

At night we went out with the son of a woman Tina knows in Joburg. He goes to University of Cape Town (UCT) and he and his friends were very nice and nerdy (in otherwards, people we'd hang with at Northwestern). We went to Cubana (different than the other one we went to- apparently a chain) where there was drinking and dancing, thoguh the Cuban food is more like Mexican.

I'd like to note that I ask people here a million questions about their culture. Yet people here know so much about the U.S. their questions are hyper-specific and really just clarifying what they've learned from the media. Per example, one of his friends, who was black and quite well-off himself, asked me if black people in America are as spoiled and materialistic as they appear on tv, particularly music videos. I said no, some people are spoiled and materialistic of course, but rap videos don't speak for everyone.

No comments: